Within the framework of the contract with FORTUM Bytom signed on 24 October 2011, Ecoenergia prepared a comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment and made thermal calculations for various biomass co‑firing scenarios for the OP-130 coal boiler operated by Miechowice cogeneration plant.
The environmental assessment was focused on the following main subjects:
- type and quantity of pollutants resulting from boiler conversion,
- harmful influences of atmospheric emissions,
- evaluation of noise emission,
- impact of the project on the soil and vegetation,
- waste material management
The thermal calculations were made for the following three biomass firing scenarios:
- minimum technical capacity / boiler fired with biomass only,
- nominal capacity / boiler co-fired with biomass and coal / 60 MWt supplied by biomass burners,
- nominal capacity / boiler co-fired with biomass and coal / 90 MWt supplied by biomass burners.
The calculations were aimed at determining the following main parameters of the boiler co-fired with biomass:
- average adiabatic temperature in the furnace,
- thermal load of furnace walls,
- flue gas flow and temperature at the furnace outlet and heated surfaces,
- water temperature at the inlet and outlet of water heater,
- air temperature at the inlet and outlet of air heater,
- overall efficiency of the boiler.